“You are the world’s light-a city on a hill, glowing in the night for all to see. Don’t hide your light! Let it shine for all; let your good deeds glow for all to see, so that they will praise your heavenly Father.” Matthew 5:14-16
While I was shopping this past Christmas I found a beautiful mosaic candle holder. Its red and gold with two gold crosses on the front and on the back. I just had to get a closer look so I took it into my hands. As I held it I heard the Holy Spirit say,
“This candle holder is just like the believers. You are covered in the blood of Jesus and marked by the Holy Spirit with His mark. Your life was shattered into pieces and then I came and put the pieces back together for you. You are sealed with the Holy Spirit. You are beautiful and have become a beautiful mosaic that I have put my light in. When you are full of my Spirit you brighten the room and provide light and direction for others to find their way to Me.”
When I saw the price I just had to have it. As soon as I got home I immediately took this unique candle holder up to my bedroom where it would be safe from our many children. I put the candles in it and turned off the lights so that I could see its beauty. Just as I expected the cross gleamed in the darkness of my room. I couldn’t take my eyes of it. I just had to smile at the thought of being like this beautiful mosaic candle holder lighting up the darkness.
As believers I think that one of our hearts desires is to want to be the light in the darkness, to be the light in a dark room, in a dark world. We should honestly ask ourselves, “Do I bring light to what ever room I’m in with words of life and encouragement? Am I the light in my family, at my job, or at my school? Do others know that I belong to Christ? Does my walk match my talk?
You can tell if others know that you belong to Christ and see your light because they act different when you enter the room. Maybe they don’t curse as much, or apologize when they do, dirty conversations will stop when you walk in, and they respect the Holy Spirit in you. When you are around they want to act right or be good.
Our Lord has said that we are the world’s light-a city on a hill, glowing in the night for all to see. Don’t hide your light! Let it shine for all. Our Lord wants us to let everyone that comes into contact with us see the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives. We must be careful not to hide our light. We are hiding our light when we:
- Stay quiet when we know we should speak the Truth. Don’t be scared to speak the Word of God. He has not given us the spirit of fear but of power, of love, and of a sound mind. Remember that not everyone will receive what you have to say, but you have to trust the Lord’s promise that His Word never returns void, but it will accomplish all that He sent it out for, it will prosper. (2 Timothy 1:7, Isaiah 55:11)
- Compromise the Word of God and go along with the rest of the world. We are supposed to be different than the world. Our ways, thoughts, and desires should line up with the Word of God. If we look the same and act the same as the rest of the world then how will those who need Christ know that we are different? When unbelievers see us walking in love, caring for the needs of others, and speaking truth and life they will know that we are different and will be drawn to the Love that is in us. When we compromise they will think that we are no different then they are, lost in sin.
- Give into sin. We are no longer slaves to sin. When you are deadened to sin you are freed from all its allure and its power over you. So then we should not allow ourselves to get caught up in the former things that use to keep us in bondage or ensnared by new sinful practices. No one who has become part of God’s family makes a practice of sinning, for Christ, God’s Son, holds him securely and the devil cannot get his hands on him. (Romans 6:6-7, 1 John 5:18)
- Don’t share the Gospel with the many lost souls around us. We have been commissioned by Jesus Christ to share the Gospel with the world. It is not just the job of our pastor or the missionaries. You can not financially support some missionaries or your church and say that you have done your part. You are not to go to church to get full of the Word just to become a fatter Christian. Exercise by sharing the Gospel with others. The Lord will give you the Words to speak. (Matthew 28:18-20)
- Ignore the needs of others. But if someone who is supposed to be a Christian has money enough to live well, and sees a brother in need, and won’t help him-how can God’s love be within him? Let us stop saying we love people; let us really love them, and show it by our actions. Feed the hungry! Help those in trouble! Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you shall be as bright as day. And the Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy you with all good things, and keep you healthy too; and you will be like a well-watered garden, like an ever-flowing spring. (1 John 3:17-18, Isaiah 58:10—11)
You are the light of this world. Don’t hide your light share it with others! Let your light shine! Light up the room!! Light up the world!! This is God’s will for our lives.