Saturday, January 24, 2009

Wisdom & Discipline Go Hand in Hand


On the morning of the fourteenth my nine year old daughter, Iliana said, “Mom I noticed that there are two things the Proverbs are talking a lot about so far. It is talking about discipline or correction and fearing the Lord.” I couldn’t believe that she said that. I knew that it was definitely something that the Holy Spirit wanted us both to see. I know this because before she sat down to read with me that morning I had just read Proverbs chapter fourteen. In my study journal I noted and highlighted the following:

2 Main themes I see so far in Proverbs. Discipline & correction & fearing the Lord. .

I was so happy to see our Lord talking to Iliana and then to see that she was listening brought such joy to my heart. I immediately told her that her revelation was most certainly from the Holy Spirit. I prayed that she would continue to have eyes to see and ears to hear what the Holy Spirit is saying.

I proceeded to look further into both of these themes. I have started with discipline and correction. What I have discovered is that if we want to receive wisdom, grow in knowledge and understanding then we must have a willingness to be taught, receive wise counsel, criticism, correction, and sometimes even rebuke. If this is a problem for us then we need to truly seek God’s help because we are in danger of heading down the wrong path.

Let me show you what the Proverbs says about this subject and may the Holy Spirit give you eyes to see and ears to hear how important it is that we truly grasp the importance of these principles.

Wisdom and discipline go hand in hand.

“These are the proverbs of Solomon, David’s son, king of Israel. Their purpose is to teach people wisdom and discipline..” Proverbs 1: 1-2

“Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.” Proverbs 1:7

• The Lord disciplines and corrects us.

“My child, don’t reject the Lord’s discipline, and don’t be upset when He corrects you. For the Lord corrects those He loves, just as a father corrects a child in whom He delights. Proverbs 3:11-12 (see also Hebrews 12:5-6)

• The wise love and accept correction.

“To learn, you must love discipline; it is stupid to hate correction” Proverbs 12:1

“The wise are glad to be instructed, but babbling fools fall flat on their faces.” Proverbs 10:8

“To one who listens, valid criticism is like a gold earring or other gold jewelry.” Proverbs 25:12

• Those who reject discipline harm themselves and are in danger of going astray.

“People who accept discipline are on the pathway to life, but those who ignore correction will go astray.” Proverbs 10:17

“If you ignore criticism, you will end in poverty and disgrace; if you accept correction, you will be honored.” Proverbs 13:18

“If you reject discipline, you only harm yourself; but if you listen to correction, you grow in understanding. Proverbs 15:32

“Whoever stubbornly refuses to accept criticism will suddenly be destroyed beyond recovery. Proverbs 29:1

• Correction makes wise people even wiser.

“If you punish a mocker, the simpleminded will learn a lesson; if you correct the wise, they will be all the wiser.” Proverbs 19:25, 21:11,

“So don’t bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you. But correct the wise and they will be even wiser. Teach the righteous, and they will learn even more.” Proverbs 9:8-9

“If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise. Proverbs 15:31


Lord your Word is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. Nothing in all creation is hidden from You. Everything is naked and exposed before Your eyes, and You are the One to whom we are accountable. So please show us anything in us that would keep us from receiving your Word and instruction. We want to receive wise counsel, correction, and even rebuke and become all the wiser. Teach us and correct us because we long for Your wisdom. In Jesus name..Amen.

No comments:

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.