Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Giving & Stewardship-Know What The Word Says


I was so happy this past Sunday when I heard my pastor was teaching on stewardship because I was recently led to study on the biblical principles of giving and stewardship. I have had heaviness on my heart about this issue for some time. I have heard so much foolish and unbiblical talk on this subject by Christians who claim to love God and His people.

The fact that there are so many Christians who are not consistently giving financial support to their home churches, other ministries, and especially to other believers that they know need help is disturbing. Then there are those Christians who give only what they think is required, the tithe-10%, just to keep people and God off of their back. They don’t want to give any more because they feel that they have fulfilled their financial obligation to God and the church. I believe with all my heart the Holy Spirit is grieved with this religious attitude. I know Jesus was. (Matt. 23:23)

I know this is a touchy subject for some but it is an issue that God wants us to deal with. Money is mentioned over 800 times in the bible. That’s amazing! It is obvious to me and I pray that you see God takes this subject very seriously. How we manage money, our attitude about giving, and our financial giving shows our spiritual maturity as much as how much time we spend in prayer, reading/study the Word, and fellowship with other believers.

I plan to write more on the subject of money, giving, and stewardship but for now in an effort to keep this posting relatively short I just want to urge you to take time and search the Word of God on the subject of money for yourselves. God wants us to be educated on this subject because we have a responsibility to manage all God has given us wisely. We will one day give an account to Him of how we spent His money. It is His money. The earth belongs to God. Everything in the entire world is his! Everything we have has been given us by God. He has entrusted us with our spiritual gifts, family, and all of our earthly possessions. (Matt 25:19, 21, Corin. 3:13, Rom 14:12) We must become good stewards of what God has given us.

When we have a problem with tithing and giving we should honestly evaluate our commitment to God. We need to ask ourselves have we truly given ourselves completely to Him. We need to pray and ask God to give us a clear understanding on the subject of money and stewardship so that our perspective and attitude are aligned with His will for our life. Please study to show yourself approved so that you are not ashamed. Know what the Word of God says and means. (2 Timothy 2:15)
May the Lord give us a heart for Truth and Wisdom. May He fill us with a desire to read and meditate on His Word daily so that our way will be truly prosperous. In Jesus name.. Amen!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was great,I am so glad you followed your heart.

Anonymous said...

How true that Word is. I will personally admit when I was first asked to tithe by my wife I was very reluctant to agree. However after years of doing this I see how awesome our God is and no matter what we have been thru financially He has always been there at that very right moment. Trust in God and give to his His kingdom and you will see the rewards...

Anonymous said...

Stewardship has been the word for me. I recently started back paying tithes. Now i'm learning how to save my money and spend it wisely. My pastor actually gave me a prophetic word on stewardship last month. Then tonight he reminded me what GOD said. That's why It's so awesome to open up my email and see god using you for the same purpose. Thanks for being obediant.

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.