Saturday, June 14, 2008

King Solomon - One of My Favorite Father's

One of my favorite father’s in the bible is King Solomon. I can see him in the movie screen of my mind walking through the palace talking with his son. “My son, never forget the things I’ve taught you. If you want a long and satisfying life, closely follow my instructions.” (Proverbs 3:1-2) He wanted to impart wisdom to his son. He wanted his children to develop good judgment and common sense. (Proverbs 4:5) He was specific in the advice that he gave explaining the benefits of wisdom.

“The person who has Wisdom.. is loyal and benefits with a long and satisfying life."
"The person who has Wisdom.. is kind and finds favor with God and people."
"The person who has Wisdom..trusts the Lord and has a reputation for good judgment."
"The person who has Wisdom..puts God first and has success."
"The person who has Wisdom..turns his back on evil and has health & vitality."
"The person who has Wisdom..knows right from wrong and has riches, honor,pleasure, peace."
"The person who has Wisdom..Listens, learns, & does what is right and has protection ."

(See Proverbs 3 & 4)


He spoke to his son about honoring the Lord with his money (Proverbs 3:9-10), debt (Proverbs 3:27-28), meditating on the Word (Proverbs 4:20-22), warned against sex with prostitutes and encouraged faithfulness to his wife. (Proverbs 5:1-23)

Fatherhood is a great honor and privilege with great responsibility. The principles that Solomon taught his son can be applied in any lifetime. In fact ALL scripture is give of God, and is profitable for teaching, reproving, correcting, and instruction in righteousness; that the man (or woman) of God may be completely equipped for all good works. (2 Timothy 3:16-17) Fathers you can become the dad God wants you to be by meditating on the Word daily. If your earthly father did not set this example it is ok. God your Heavenly Father is the perfect role model. Let Him help you become the godly role model your children need so that they will learn to love the Lord with all their hearts and desire to do His will in their life.

May God give you a desire to search his Word and teach your children to reverence Him. In Jesus name..Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its cool that you wrote on this because I've just finished reading the book of Proverbs which was written in large part by Solomon. I must say this is definelty a book of great wisdom, and really is a powerful Word. My bible version (NLT) calls Proverbs a book which provides moral instruction. What a perfect example of a true man following the Word of God. Solomons instructions on being a good Christian easily applies being a good father. I pray that i may live up to the standards of being a good Christian father to my children.

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.