Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"Meet Me At The Club...It's Going Down"


It's Friday night, just got paid, babysitter is coming over, and I am ready to unwind. Off to dinner and then dancing and with our friends. That used to be me and I don't mean before I was saved and professing Christ. I used to love clubbing every weekend or going to Fat Tuesdays on the beach. My husband and I love dancing. It seemed harmless because I really did not plan to drink all that much. Beside I was with my husband. My plan would be to have one or two drinks because someone had to be the "good one" who knew moderation, plus I was usually the designated driver.

But the more I began going to church and reading the bible my desires starting changing. I began feeling like I was doing something wrong. At first I would still go to the club or bar but I noticed that every time I went I perceived my surroundings much differently. It's like God lifted a veil off of my eyes. What used to seem harmless and fun now seemed dangerous and destructive. Guys and girls would hit on me and husband provoking an altercation. They didn’t care that we were together. The majority of the girls dress so provocative that it's almost impossible for men not to look at them and have lustful thoughts. Most of the people excessively drink and dancing has become mainly bumping and grinding. Lack of self control was no longer appealing to me.

The Lord kept reminding me that I was to be a living testimony to others, especially my children. I knew in my heart that being in those places was destroying my witness. I would read the bible and see scriptures that would speak so clearly to me about this issue saying,

“Don’t participate in the darkness of wild parties and drunkenness”- Romans 13:12-13
“People that participate in wild parties will not inherit the Kingdom of God”-Galatians 5:18-21
“You are all children of the light and of the day, and do not belong to darkness and night. So be on your guard not asleep like the others. Watch for his return and stay sober. Night is the time for sleep and the time when people get drunk. But let us who live in the light keep sober..”- 1 Thessalonians 5:4-8

It was clear to me that I needed to leave the party days behind me.

I know that there is someone reading this that is struggling with this issue just like I did. God wants the best for you. You were cleansed by the blood of Jesus so that you could become a new creature. You are supposed to be different from the world and its ways, not blending in. Partying and clubbing is part of your “sinful nature”. For your own good do not ignore the Holy Spirit. He is leading you into truth and freedom so that you can bring glory to God. So look upon your old sin nature as dead and unresponsive to sin and instead be alive to God. (Romans 6:11)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful how the Lord tranforms our lives when we let him into our hearts. He slowly changes us so that what was once appealing and "fun" loses it's flavor. He then leads us to other activties that edify us and glorify Him.

DeAna said...

I know clubbing wasn't that far off in the distance of my past. And it was a part of my life for 12 years. But that past is behind me and, although some might remember me that way, I am no longer walking that path! There is a new me and GOD knows it.

There is so much admiration and sanctity in the Lord's love for us. Why reach for the temporary when there is something so real, permanent and fulfilling in Christ?!

I thank God everyday for showing me the path I must follow and I ask for the strength and courage to continue to walk it.

He really does move mountains!

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.