Monday, August 11, 2008

Financial Struggles



Right now many people are experiencing financial struggles. Gas prices are through the roof. Unemployment is on the rise. Foreclosures are at an all time high. Even the banks are going bankrupt.

Our family has personally been going through what we call a financial restructuring. It will be 2 years in December that I had to stop working and stay home to care for our twin pregnancy. I have been at home caring for our five children ever since. Our income was drastically reduced. There have even been times that we had no income at all. No one knew what we were going through, but Our faithful Heavenly Father did. It was no surprise to Him. You see the Lord is constantly watching over us and caring for our needs. We knew this, so we choose to lean on His Word. We put all of our trust in Him to provide for us and save us. We did not look towards men. In fact we never really told too many people about our struggles. We waited on the Lord to act and He did.

Sometimes I’d look in the cabinet and see our food supply was low and I would think that we would not have enough to cover us for the week. But that never happened. We never went without food. In fact the Lord gave me wisdom and I learned to get creative with our meals. I would pray and thank God for the food we had while I was cooking and amazingly the food would be more than enough to feed our family, my girlfriend’s family who was also struggling, and still there was food left over for the next day to feed us lunch. It seemed like our food would multiply before our eyes. One meal would feed eleven people for two days! We stood in awe and remembered how the Lord multiplied the little boy’s fish and bread to feed the multitudes that went to hear Jesus preach. Jesus said, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.” (John 6:35)

We have seen for ourselves what David meant when he wrote “I have been young and now I am old, and in all my years I have never seen the Lord forsake a man who loves him; nor have I seen the children of the godly go hungry.” (Psalm 37:25) He cares for us when times are hard; even in famine, we will have enough. (Psalm 37:19)

I want to encourage you if you are having financial struggles please realize that this is just another opportunity for our Lord to show you how faithful He is and for your faith to grow. Put your hope in Him and I promise you will not be ashamed. He knows you have bills to pay and when your food supply is running low. He knows all of your needs. He wants you to know that nothing is too complicated for Him. Be still and know that He is God. This is a time for you to draw closer to Him. Allow Him to be God and all you need to do is:

Keep your eyes on Him by increasing the time you spend reading the Word. This will prepare you for the attacks that the enemy will bring on your mind to get you to give up. When the attack comes you will be prepared with the Sword-The Word of God which will rise up in you and out of your mouth.
Pray and fast often. Always talk to our Lord about what you are going through. He knows it, but He likes when you tell Him. Remember that these are times to draw closer to Him and He will draw closer to you. Then once you’ve prayed take some time to listen. Prayer is not just a one way conversation. Our Lord will actually speak to you if you will only listen.
Watch what comes out of your mouth. Don’t confess your circumstances confess the Word of God over your circumstances. Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. (Hebrews 11:1)
DO NOT STOP GIVING YOUR TITHE! No matter how much you think you need it, give it anyway. You are only making your situation worse by withholding your tithe from the Lord. (Malachi 3:7-13.)
Wear the garment of praise! No matter what happens praise Him anyways. “I will praise the Lord at all times; His praise will always be on my lips. (Psalm 34:1) This will help defeat the spirit of heaviness that will attack you. (Isaiah 61:1-3)
Don’t stop serving. Serve the Lord and His people regardless of what you are going through. There is someone out there that is going through worse. Stop looking at your own circumstances and see what you can do to help encourage someone else. Don’t forget that no matter what you’re going through you are still called to spread the Gospel.

Lord, help us to remember that you are with us always. You never leave us alone and abandoned. You are our strength and our hope. We leave our lives in your hands. We trust you because you love us and care for us. Thank you for providing all of our needs. In Jesus, Amen..

No comments:

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.