Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Beware of Anger!




More on prayer tomorrow but for now..


BEWARE OF ANGER! When we have been hurt, offended, gossiped on, betrayed, or taken advantage of we must not allow ourselves to be consumed by anger. Anger is determined to take over all of our emotions and hinder our thinking provoking us to meditate on the offense over and over again.

It’s a trap! Don’t meditate on the offense!

By constantly remembering the offense we are feeding the anger and prolonging forgiveness and healing. We need to learn to choose to forgive and leave the offense and the offender in God’s hands. Believe me; I know it is easier said than done especially when it hits close to the heart. However, the Word of God tells us that if we do not forgive our offenders than God will not forgive us either. We are also commanded to get rid of all bitterness, rage, and anger in our lives.

“Your heavenly Father will forgive you if you forgive those who have sinned against you; but if you refuse to forgive them, he will not forgive you.” (Matthew 6:15)

“Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:31-32)

I am not saying don’t get angry. There will be times that we all get angry. We just can not allow the anger to overcome us. So what do we do when we have been hurt? How do we not allow anger not to consume us? Below are just some suggestions:

Ø Be lead by the Spirit. Don’t allow your fleshy emotions to take over your mind. Remember there are principalities in the spiritual realm wanting to agitate the situation more and could even be the influence provoking it. We must keep in mind that we are constantly in a spiritual battle.
Ø Control your tongue. Don’t be loose with the lips saying things that you will regret. I know my first reaction is to want to come out of my mouth and start verbally retaliating. I feel the need to defend myself with my tongue. This is not the answer! It will only help to quickly escalate the conflict.
Ø Do not hesitate, immediately begin to pray! Ask God to help keep a cover over your mouth until the Holy Spirit has helped you get control over your emotions. Then try to resolve the situation amicably, in love and with patience.
Ø If your offender is unreasonable and does not care to resolve the conflict then you have got to let it go and leave it in God’s hands. Remember that God is our vindicator. There is no reason to defend yourself or retaliate in anger, trust our Lord to work on both of your hearts and forgive the person right away for your own good.
Ø Refresh yourself by playing some praise and worship music so that you can get your spirit and mind back on the Lord and off the offense. It’s hard to be angry when you are worshipping God.

Lord, we thank you that through the power of the Holy Spirit we can forgive quickly and not allow anger to have its way with our emotions. We pray that You would have mercy on our offenders and draw them closer to You. In Jesus name…Amen.

No comments:

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.