Monday, October 27, 2008

Weekend Of Champions


Thank you for your prayers last Thursday. I woke up at three am with a terrible stomach virus. In fact two of my children were also attacked by the same virus. It did not surprise me though because almost every time we plan to go and volunteer to do a WOC (Weekend of Champions) in the prison ‘something’ tries to stop us. Thank God by that evening I was feeling much better and was able to attend the training class and participate in the weekend events along with my husband, brother-in-law, and partner in ministry. After this weekend it became so clear to me why the enemy tried to keep me from going. I will tell you more later, but for now you may be wondering what is Weekend of Champions?

WOC is a prison evangelistic event coordinated by Bill Glass Prison Ministry where several believers come together to share the Good News in the jails and prisons for the weekend. These events are different from the much needed bibles studies and Sunday services held normally in these facilities. WOC is unique because the ministry brings in professional athletes, ex-offenders, military men, singers, comedians, a professional tight rope walker, and others who entertain theses men and women while sharing their story of deliverance through Jesus Christ. By the time the platform speakers are done sharing their stories most of the men and women’s hearts are softened and they are eager to hear more of what they can do to have that same freedom that the speakers found.

Now the baton is passed to the volunteers to lead these men and women through the Word of God straight to the cross to receive salvation. Each volunteer is given several small booklets that help smoothly lead someone to the Lord. We give the booklets out to those seeking salvation and we walk through the booklet with them. It is a simple and effective tool to help bring someone to the Lord.

The front of the booklet asks “What do you think?” real big. Then it has 5 questions underneath.

1) Do you have a spiritual belief?
2) Is there a heaven or hell?
3) Where will you go when you die?
4) Will God let you into His heaven? Why?
5) Would you like to know if what you believe is true or not?

Well of course by now they have had a chance to listen to each others responses and want to know if they are right, because at this point we have not answered whether what they believe is true or false. Now we show them what God’s Word says.

The booklet asks that they read these verses out loud and to then ask themselves “What do they mean to me?”

1) “For God (The Father) loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son (Jesus), so that everyone who believes in Him (Jesus) will not perish but have ETERNAL LIFE.” John 3:16
2) “For all have SINNED and fall short of the Glory of God.” Romans 3:23
3) “…the wages (consequences) of Sin is Death, but the Gift of God is ETERNAL LIFE in Christ Jesus.” Romans 6:23
4) If we CONFESS our sins, He (God) is faithful and just to Forgive us our sins and CLEANSE us from ALL unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9
5) (Jesus said) “I am the WAY, and the Truth, and the LIFE; no one comes to the Father EXCEPT THROUGH ME.” John 14:6
6) (Jesus said) “I stand at the door and knock. If ANYONE hears my voice and opens the door, I WILL COME IN TO HIM.” Revelation 3:20
7) “….if you CONFESS with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God has raised Him (Jesus) from the dead. YOU WILL BE SAVED.” Romans 10:9

Now the Word of God has shown them they are sinners in need of forgiveness that can only be found through faith in Jesus Christ. This is the time where we get to pray with them to receive the gift of salvation. Once we pray we explain to them what that the Word of God says about what they have just done; that they have eternal life and are saved from hell, their sins have been forgiven, the Lord has begun and will complete a wonderful work in their lives, and they are now a part of the ‘Family of God’.

We also encourage them to build a strong relationship with Christ by praying every day, reading the Word and trusting God to speak to them through His Word, to fellowship with other believers, and be a witness to others.

I can not truly describe the joy I feel when I know that God has used me to help bring a soul into His kingdom. I am humbled and honored all at the same time. My heart rejoices and I can imagine the angels rejoicing in heaven too.

We are ALL called to share this Good News with others. If you have never personally led someone to the Lord I encourage you to ask our Lord to show an opportunity to do so. This is our purpose and our destiny, to win souls for the kingdom. Decide to day to be a champion for God!

More to come on this past weekend events..

No comments:

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.