Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Proverb A Day


My hearts desire this year and my prayer to our Lord was for Him to draw me even closer, to reveal Himself more to me, and to impart His wisdom in me. In fact God’s wisdom is something I have been praying for and seeking ever since I read the story of Solomon in 1 Kings.

When the Lord appointed Solomon as king he visited him in a dream and said, “What do you want? Ask, and I will give it to you!” Solomon humbly saw the need for greater wisdom to rule and lead God’s people so instead of riches or a long life he asked God for wisdom to govern His people. Solomon desired to have an understanding heart and to know the difference between right and wrong. This greatly pleased our Lord so He gave him the desire of his heart. King Solomon had a wise and understanding heart such as no one else has had or ever will have. (1 Kings 3:5-15)

At the beginning of this year the Lord reminded me of when I used to meditate on Solomon’s teachings daily found in the book of Proverbs. I felt inspired to get back to reading a chapter of the book of Proverbs daily as part of my morning devotionals. I also felt lead to teach my children to use this as their daily devotions. We have been sharing with each other the revelations, corrections, and directions that we have been receiving through our daily readings.

When I read Proverbs 1:1-6 I realized immediately why the Holy Spirit wanted us to meditate on these nuggets of wisdom daily. Verses 1- 4 says that the purpose of the Proverbs is to:

• Teach people wisdom and discipline
• Help them understand the insights of the wise.
• Teach people to live disciplined and successful lives
• Help them do what is right, just, and fair.
• Give insight to the simple
• Give knowledge and discernment to the young

“Let the wise listen to these proverbs and become even wiser. Let those with understanding receive guidance by exploring the meaning in these proverbs and parables, the words of the wise and their riddles.” Proverbs 1:5-6
The book of Proverbs is a book that imparts skills for living wisely in this fallen world. The instructions and advice given in this book if applied to our lives will result in humility, fruitful relationships, sound financial practices, and gainful vocations.
I encourage you to read a chapter a day based on the date. Today is the 13th so read the 13th chapter and then tomorrow read the 14th and so on. I promise you will receive confirmation and clear instructions for daily living.

Below are some nuggets of wisdom from the book of Proverbs that I have recently read.

“Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.” Proverbs 4:23

“Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Cry out for insight, and ask for understanding. Search for them as you would for silver; seek them like hidden treasures. Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord, and you will gain knowledge of God.” Proverbs 2:2-5

“Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the best part of everything you produce. Then He will fill your barns with grain, and your vats will overflow with good wine.” Proverbs 3:9-10

“All who fear the Lord will hate evil. Therefore, I hate pride and arrogance, corruption and perverse speech.” Proverbs 8:13

“So don’t bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you. But correct the wise, and they will love you. Instruct the wise, and they will be even wiser. Teach the righteous, and they will learn even more.” Proverbs 9: 8-9

“Fear of the Lord is the foundation of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment.” Proverbs 9:10

“A fool is quick-tempered, but a wise person stays clam when insulted.” Proverbs 12:16

“Those who control their tongue will have a long-life; opening your mouth can ruin everything.” Proverbs 13:3

3 comments:

Larissa said...

I used to read through proverbs each month too and recently took it up again. I simply match up the date to the proverb! They are handily numbered up to 31, so on months with 31 days I read one a day, those with less I read 2 on the last day. Easy!
:)

Lisa C. aka Trophy of Grace said...

Exactly Larissa..It's like our heavenly Father made it just like so that so that we could use it as part of our daily reading.

Thanks for your comment..

LisaShaw said...

There is indeed great 'wisdom tools' and nuggests of great truths for us to embrace and live out in the Book of Proverbs.

Thank you for sharing the Word.

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.