Tuesday, April 21, 2009

From The Archives: Instructions On How To Minister To Others


I figured I'd follow yesterday's posting with this one. It just seemed appropriate and on time. Be blessed..

Instructions On How To Minister To Others

Quietly trust yourself to Christ your Lord and if anyone asks why you believe as you do, be ready to tell him, and do it in a gentle and respectful way. (1 Peter 3:15)

We all have friends and family that we long to be delivered from the hands of the enemy. The Lord has put it on our hearts to want to see them receive the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ and start living life more abundantly. With the power of the Holy Spirit we can lovingly and gently lead our confused or blinded loved ones to the Lord. However, it is important to remember that we are to minister to them with a meek, gentle, and patient attitude. They will be more willing to receive what we have to say if we are truly courteous and respectful. (1 Peter 3:15)

The Holy Spirit will give us direction, wisdom, and discernment as to how we are to handle each individual situation. Asking the Lord to give us the words to speak when we are trying to share the gospel is a must. This person needs more of Christ and less of us. If we are lead by the Spirit of Love then when the opportunity presents it’s self we will make the most of it by being wise and allowing our conversation to be gracious as well as sensible. Then we will have the right answers for them. (Colossians 4:5-6)

Remember that we are not in a battle against flesh and blood, but against unseen spirits that influence and manipulate anyone who is not careful. The enemy does not want to allow these precious souls to be freed from the bondage that he has them in. He will try to create an atmosphere of division and confusion. Therefore we must be careful, wise as serpents but gentle as doves avoiding getting into quarrels or arguments with those we are trying to help. For when we are angry we give a foothold to the devil. (Matthew 10:16, Titus 3:2, James 5:8, Ephesians 4:27)

Through Paul, the Holy Spirit gave Timothy very specific instructions as to how to minister to those who were confused about the truth.

2 Timothy 3:23-26 says, Again I say, don’t get involved in foolish arguments which only upset people and make them angry. God’s people should not be quarrelsome; they must be gentle, patient teachers of those who are wrong. Be humble when you are trying to teach those who are mixed up concerning the truth. For if you talk meekly and courteously to them they are more likely, with God’s help, to turn away from their wrong ideas and believe what is true. Then they will come to their senses and escape from Satan’s trap of slavery to sin which he uses to catch them whenever he likes, and then they can begin doing the will of God.

Let us also follow these instructions and share the Word of God humbly, patiently, and courteously so that we may bring glory to God.

Lord, please help us to be patient and gentle when ministering to others. Give us the wisdom, self control, and words to speak that will help these individual receive the Truth. Please don’t allow their hearts to be hardened. Let them see Christ in us and let them desire to know Him also. In Jesus name. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow--this is exactly what I needed to hear with regard to my son's girlfriend. I needed to be reminded that I'm not disagreeing with her, but with the spirits that are motivating her behavior. We have definitely been going back and forth, arguing lately, and I knew it was wrong, but I get so frustrated that I get sucked into it! Thanks for the correction and the wisdom from Him :)

Lisa C. aka Trophy of Grace said...

You are not alone. I find myself doing the same thing. That is why I reposted this. The funny thing is that I scheduled this last night and little did I know what I would encounter today. I needed this word too..Thank you Jesus..

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.