Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Overwhelmed With A Desire For The Word


Recently I was reading and meditating on Psalm 119. It became evident that the psalmist loved the Word of God with all of his heart. It was everything to him. The Word was his source of joy and delight, wise advice, revitalization, comfort, and encouragement. (Psalm 119:14, 16, 24, 25,50, 52, 28) He was always overwhelmed with a desire for the Word and to walk in the Word, that is where his happiness was found. (Psalm 119:20, 35) He trusted in the Word. Early in the morning, before the sun was up he’d cry out to the Lord and put his hope in the Word. (Psalm 119:147) At night he’d reflect on the Lord, therefore he obeyed the Word. (Psalm 119:55) His confidence in God’s law and love for the Word of God is beautifully expressed in this long psalm.

Here are some of my favorite verses from Psalm 119:

“If Your instructions hadn’t sustained me with joy, I would have died in my misery.” Vs. 92

“Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.” Vs. 105

“You are my refuge and my shield; Your word is my source of hope.” Vs 114

“The teaching of Your word gives light, so even the simple can understand.” Vs 130

“As pressure and stress bear down on me, I find joy in Your commands.” Vs 143

I am always greatly encouraged and comforted by this Psalm. However after read it this time I immediately began to feel concerned for other believers who don’t know the Word of God the way this psalmist does. If only they would realize that the Word of God is their source for everything. If they would spend time daily reading and meditating on God’s instructions then they would not be so weak and beat up by life’s circumstances. Instead many believers go to church conveniently and don’t pick up the Word of God between church visits. The result is a starving soul, clouded vision, and a greater susceptibility to compromising our Christian principles. We have to always remember that man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God. (Matthew 4;4)

I remember what a mess my entire life was without the Word of God. My emotions were all over the place. I did not know which way to go. My perception on life’s issues was distorted by ignorant and foolish ideas that did not line up with the Word. I felt anxious all the time and I wasn’t producing good fruit in my life. My light was dim and on top of that it was hidden under a bush. I am not talking about before I was saved. This was after I received Christ. I was a dormant Christian. I was inactive because the Word was not active in my life.

I most certainly have not arrived to perfection. Anyone who knows me knows what I say is true, however today I know who I am in Christ Jesus. My confidence and my strength is strong because I have learned to build my faith and hope on the Rock, the Word of God. When the pressures and stress of life bear down on me I find joy in the Word of God. His Word is my source of hope and strength. It sustains me. I can’t imagine my life without the Word of God. If I go a day without reading it I feel like something is missing. It’s not a religious condemnation I feel, like I have to read the Word. What I feel is a longing for Him, to hear His voice through the written Word.

You see I have discovered that the Lord will speak clearly through His Word. If you want to know what God wants you to do in your life or a specific situation then seek direction and counsel in the Word of God. Sure you can go to other strong believers for counsel, but the Word of God has to be our number one source for advice. It will never lead us wrong. It will direct our step every time.

Remember that Jesus is the Word and if you draw close to Him, He will draw close to you. Make spending time with Him your priority. We should not have to fit Him into our schedules. Our schedules should begin after we have sought Him first.

“Joyful are those who obey His laws and search for Him with all their hearts.” Psalm 119:2

Be blessed..

No comments:

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.