Tuesday, August 4, 2009

You Never Know Who You're Influencing

Influence=the capacity or power of persons or things to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of others


Recently I received a message on WeUsed2bu from an old friend. She said, "Even though many years have passed I just wanted to take some time out to say thank you". Apparently I showed her courage and guidance which God used to help her press forward in her calling. She updated me on how she is involved in ministry and the great work that the Lord is doing in and through her. She said little did I know that it was my influence that helped motivate her along the way. I was shocked and humbled. It had been years since we had spoken. I really I had no idea that I had any influence on her at all. I was in awe and humbled to know that our Lord used me to help her and that it caused such a ripple of effect. The Spirit of the Lord said, “See you never know who you’re influencing”. I have meditated on those words ever since.

This is not the first time that the topic of influencing others has come up. I did a posting called ‘Do You Walk The Talk?’ last year after meditating on 2 Corinthians 6:1-4. However, this letter from my old friend brought this question up again, ‘What influence am I having on others in my life?’ I hope with all my heart that it is good.

This experience is further confirmation to me that whether we realize it or not our conduct and speech is either having a positive or negative influence on those around us. We have the power to either encourage and edify others in their faith, or cause them to stumble. Our influence on the unbeliever can either draw them closer to the Lord or push them further away. So each of us should carefully evaluate our lives and consider how our behavior will affect others. (John 2:10, Psalm 40:3)

Since we bare the name of Christ, “Christians”, many will look to us to identify with Him. Will they see Christ-like attributes in us? Will they see the fruit of the Spirit -love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control? Or will they see sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and foul talk? (Galatians 5:19-22)

“You are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for He called you out of the darkness into His wonderful light.” 1 Peter 2:9

We should desire will all of our hearts for others to see the goodness of God in our lives. Our Lord Jesus sacrificed His life to save us from slavery to sin and the consequences of sin which is death. He doesn’t want us still living in darkness, enslaved to our sinful nature, and selfish desires. He has called us out of the darkness and into His wonderful light. This means leaving our former way of life, no longer participating in the darkness of wild parties and drunkenness, or immoral living, bickering, obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes. These are not for us any more. If we live decent lives for all to see and allow our light to shine we can expel the darkness around us, then our Lord can use us to influence those that are hurting, lost, confused, and in need of our Savior. This is the least that we can do considering all that He has done for us. (Romans 13:12-13, Ephesians 5:4, Romans 12:1)

I just love Psalm 40:1-3, especially the last part of verse three

Many will see what He has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the Lord.”

When others see how God has changed our attitudes, filled us with faith through His Word, delivered us from addictions and bondage, healed us, restored our families, given us a new heart that longs to please Him they will be amazed. They will be inspired by the fruit that they see in our lives and our testimonies of God’s goodness. This is the influence that will draw people to Christ Jesus in us, prompting them to want to know more about the Hope we have. Then we can give an account to them of God’s faithfulness and they too will believe and put their trust in Him.

May our lives and conduct be living witnesses of God’s goodness. May our influence empower, edify, and inspire others to draw closer to Him. May we be willing to lay down our self centered desires and lifestyles and instead live to glorify Christ so that we can be a positive influence, a light in the darkness of this world. In Jesus name..Amen!

2 comments:

Michael Horvath said...

This is so true. I try each day to do something for someone in a positive way, without expectation that it will get noticed. It is nice to be appreciated when the feedback does come.

Lisa C. aka Trophy of Grace said...

It is nice..especially when your just being you. Really to God be all the glory because it is Him in us that draws others close to see up close what God is doing.

Thanks for the comment brother..

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.