Thursday, March 27, 2008

Our #1 Ministry


We are called to walk in love towards one another. I think this is something that needs to start at home with our families.

Often times we are nicer to the strangers we bump into on the street than we are to our spouses or children. Why is that? Perhaps we are meditating on the events that may have happened through out our day. Maybe we are feeling inundated by all the things we have to do. Perhaps at home we feel that we can act differently since others can not see us. But God sees. He sees how we treat one another in the privacy of our own homes.

We must learn to walk in love and submit to one another. The Word gives each member of the family clear instructions.

Children- Ephesians 6:1-3 (Amplified Bible) CHILDREN, OBEY your parents in the Lord [as His representatives], for this is just and right. Honor (esteem and value as precious) your father and your mother--this is the first commandment with a promise. That all may be well with you and that you may live long on the earth.

Parents-Ephesians 6:4 (Amplified Bible) Fathers, do not irritate and provoke your children to anger [do not exasperate them to resentment], but rear them [tenderly] in the training and discipline and the counsel and admonition of the Lord.

Wives-Ephesians 5:22-24 (Amplified Bible) Wives, be subject (be submissive and adapt yourselves) to your own husbands as [a service] to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife as Christ is the Head of the church, Himself the Savior of [His] body. As the church is subject to Christ, so let wives also be subject in everything to their husbands.

1 Peter 3:5-6 (Amplified Bible) For it was thus that the pious women of old who hoped in God were [accustomed] to beautify themselves and were submissive to their husbands [adapting themselves to them as themselves secondary and dependent upon them].
It was thus that Sarah obeyed Abraham [following his guidance and acknowledging his headship over her by] calling him lord (master, leader, authority). And you are now her true daughters if you do right and let nothing terrify you [not giving way to hysterical fears or letting anxieties unnerve you].

Husbands-Ephesians 5:25-30 (Amplified Bible) Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her, So that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the Word, That He might present the church to Himself in glorious splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such things [that she might be holy and faultless]. Even so husbands should love their wives as [being in a sense] their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself. For no man ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and carefully protects and cherishes it, as Christ does the church, Because we are members (parts) of His body.

1 Peter 3:7 (Amplified Bible) In the same way you married men should live considerately with [your wives], with an intelligent recognition [of the marriage relation], honoring the woman as [physically] the weaker, but [realizing that you] are joint heirs of the grace (God's unmerited favor) of life, in order that your prayers may not be hindered and cut off. [Otherwise you cannot pray effectively.]


We need to really evaluate ourselves and ask forgiveness from our families if we have taken them for granted or even taken advantage of them. We need to pray for God to heal any hurts or offenses so that the root of bitterness does not creep in.

Our homes should be a place of love, peace, and harmony. Our families need to be our number one ministry. God has entrusted them to us and one day we will give an account for how we have treated them. Let us all make a conscience effort to throw off selfishness daily and begin to treat our families with love, respect, and gentleness. May God reveal to each of how we can better serve our loved ones.

In Jesus name..Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a Word and how it affected me. I eprsonally am guilty of this. Lately I have been getting stronger into my walk with the Lord and have been doing some volunteering at church and of course I show all of these people plenty of Love. However at home after a long day of of work and sitting in traffic I sometimes bring home this stres to my family and this is wrong of me. I can only continue to pray and asked God to help me work on this. It is really affecting me and I know it ios affecting my relationship with my family and in order to fulfill my duties and a Godly man and Husband I need to treat my home as Jesus did his church. I thank you for this Word and I will pray that the Lord continues to use you the way he has been using you through this blog.

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.