Monday, June 30, 2008

What We Say Reveals What Is In Our Heart


I tell my kids, “If you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all!” Proverbs 18:21 says, “Our words have power to give life or destroy life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences”. We must learn to think before we speak. We need to ask the Holy Spirit to help us control our tongue because He is the only one who can help us tame it. (James 3:2,5)

The scriptures below confirm that it is best to listen more and speak little.

Those who control their tongue will have a long life; opening your mouth can ruin everything. (Proverbs 13:3)

Fools’ words get them into constant quarrels; they are asking for a beating. The mouths of fools are their ruin; they trap themselves with their lips. (Proverbs 18:6-7)

A wise man holds his tongue. Only a fool blurts out everything he knows; that only leads to sorrow and trouble. (Proverbs 10:14)

Jesus said that what we say and how we talk to others is an indication of the condition of our hearts. Often times our mindset and our intentions are revealed through our words. Jesus goes on to add that one day we will give an account for every idle word we have spoken.

Matthew 12:34-36 (The Message)"You have minds like a snake pit! How do you suppose what you say is worth anything when you are so foul-minded? It's your heart, not the dictionary, that gives meaning to your words. A good person produces good deeds and words season after season. An evil person is a blight on the orchard. Let me tell you something: Every one of these careless words is going to come back to haunt you. There will be a time of Reckoning. Words are powerful; take them seriously. Words can be your salvation. Words can also be your damnation."

Do our words lift people up or tear them down? Are our words constructive or critical? What are the motives behind them?

Lord please help us to evaluate our attitudes and intentions. Renew us from the inside out so that our words begin to reflect the love God. Help us speak words of edification and teach us when to keep a cover on our mouth. In Jesus name..Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now this is something I personally deal with. I ask the Lord sometimes to help me deal with the words that come out of our mouth. The sad thing is once it is said its their. No apology can change the words we speak or take back the hurt it caused. This is why prior to speking we must think. If we are not in agreement about something we must ask God to provide us wisdom and the right words to say before we hurt the other person. Lord Father I ask you today to close my mouth. Allow to speak when it is my time to speak and allow me to say the words you would like me to say. In Jesus name Amen...

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.