Thursday, July 24, 2008

Family Ministry First


Last night my pastor told a story of woman who lost her husband and two children in a train accident. I can only imagine the thoughts and the emotions that this woman must be experiencing. I wonder what were the last words they spoke to one another? Was there a kiss goodbye before they left each other? Are there any regrets? I can’t imagine losing my husband and children. I can’t imagine my life without them.

I lost my mother when I was just sixteen years old. It was so sudden. It devastated my life. I had so many regrets about the way I treated her and how rebellious I was. I wished that I could take back all the mean words and terrible behavior. I hurt her so much. Now all I have are some pictures and memories that I hold close to my heart. Sometimes I wish I could just hear her voice, but it’s too late.

We must never take our families for granted. We have to show them how much we love and appreciate them. Maybe we have allowed ourselves to become so busy that we don’t make time to just sit and sincerely listen to what our loved ones are saying. Maybe we are impatient, short tempered, or insensitive to their needs.

We have to stop and evaluate ourselves often. God has entrusted us with this blessing and gift called family. They are our number one responsibility. Are we building up our family or are we tearing it down? Do we say loving things or are our words harsh and critical? One day we will give an account to God for every idle word spoken. So let us be careful of what we are saying to the ones we are suppose to be showing love. (Matthew 12:36-37, Ephesians 5:2)

Often times we want to go and save the world. We want to feed the starving children in other countries, minister to lost teenagers, encourage our brothers and sisters in the congregation, or visit inmates in prisons. This is great, but we must remember that ministry begins at home. Do we have the same desire, motivation, and fire to save, serve, and love in our own home?

Since I started the WeUsed2bu Girl Advice ministry I began realizing that I could not ever allow my WeUsed2bu girls to take precedence over my own teen daughters. Sometimes I find that I am on the computer for hours counseling young girls and woman, sharing the love of Christ. One day as I was sitting there being slammed with questions my youngest daughter says, “Mom get off the computer and watch a movie with us. It’s raining outside and it’s a perfect movie day!” I began to explain to her that these girls really need me. Then I realized that my own girls are also the WeUsed2bu girls. They need me too. They need me more and they must come first! No excuses! So I finished up my last response and enjoyed movie time with the girls. I’m glad I did..Imagine the hurt and rejection that could have caused them. Perhaps that would have even caused my girls to have resentment towards the ministry thinking that the ministry is more important than them. This could have affected their own ministry in the future.

We are all called to reach out and minister the gospel, feed the poor, and visit prisoners. However our primary ministry will always be our family. If anyone does not care for his own relatives, especially his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. (1 Timothy 5:8) Our ministry and service to our families can be a witness and testimony to others. We have to set the example out in the world, in the church and even behind close doors. We are called to be good stewards of what God has given us at all times, not just when we are in a good or ‘spiritual’ mood. We are to love and care for our family at all times. Our family ministry must come first

No comments:

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.