Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Meekness-Power Under Control


Recently the Lord gave me clear instructions on how to handle one of my most recent battles. He said “learn meekness”. “Be lead of the Spirit and walk in love. Practice self control and don’t let yourself become upset. Meekness is power under control.”

I have never really meditated on meekness or what it truly means, until now. The more I searched the scriptures and read about the life of Christ I begin to realize that meekness is a fruit of the Holy Spirit that I desperately need if I want to live a successfully Christian life. (Galatians 5:23)

During my studies I found a lesson titled Jesus: The Meek on http://www.thebiblewayonline.com/ . Here is an excerpt from the lesson:

"Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth", Jesus said in Matthew 5:5. What does it mean to be meek? According to our dictionary, to be meek means you are "showing patience and humility, gentleness ... easily imposed upon, submissive". The meek one doesn't throw fits or fly off the handle under pressure. A good synonym is "gentle". A meek person is under control. To be meek does not mean to be weak. A horse, before it is tamed, is strong but, being wild, is useless to man. After being tamed it does not lose its strength. It just becomes tamed, controlled and useful. A good definition for meekness is "strength under control". (Jesus: The Meek)

Now..Imagine if we developed the character of meekness by allowing the Holy Spirit to control our lives. We will have self control and not want to lash out when someone angers, persecutes, or provokes us. Instead we will be gentle and compassionate thinking about the other person and how our reaction will affect them. We will want our actions to reflect the love of God.

Being meek doesn’t mean that we allow ourselves to be pushed around. We must not compromise our faith, integrity, or standards. We are still to stand for truth justice, and fight against the attacks of the enemy. We just need to do it in love, gentleness, and self control.

It seems to me that meekness is a matter of walking in love.

Ø Speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men. Titus 3:2


Ø I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Ephesians 4:2

Being meek when someone is attacking or persecuting us will be difficult. However, it is NOT impossible with the help of the Holy Spirit. Psalms 147:6 says “The Lord lifts up the meek.” So let us humble ourselves for Christ sake and allow the fruit of meekness to grow in our lives so that we may be bring glory to God.

No comments:

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.