Sunday, March 1, 2009

Living In Peace Is Not About Having the Answers


Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in the God of my salvation. The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights.” Habakkuk 3:17-19

I just recently read the book of Habakkuk again and one of the footnotes in my bible says. Living in peace is not about having the answers; it is about committing the questions to the One who does. This is so true and that’s exactly what Habakkuk did. Habakkuk had many questions and complaints for the Lord and he committed them to God. The book of Habakkuk is only three short chapters. Not much is known about Habakkuk’s background. He isn’t mentioned any where else in the Old Testament. We know that he was a prophet of God and that He lived during the reign of the wicked King Jehoiakim of Judah. This small book records a conversation that Habakkuk had with the Lord.

Habakkuk was troubled by all the evil and wickedness that surrounded him in Judah. He had been praying and interceding on behalf of the people of Judah. He must have been frustrated and just wanted answers. He prayed and asked the Lord how much longer must there be violence every where? How long must he see the evil deeds and watch all the misery? He saw destruction and violence. He was surrounded by people who loved to argue and fight. The law was corrupt and there was no justice in the courts. The wicked far outnumbered the righteous. He had been crying out to God for help and wanted to know why God was not listening?

The Lord responds, “Look around at the nations; look and be amazed!” For I am doing something in your own day, something you wouldn’t believe even if someone told you about it.” Then the Lord goes on to tell Habakkuk how He plans on using an even more wicked nation to bring judgment on Judah. Well this brings even more concern to Habakkuk’s heart and he proceeds to ask the Lord more questions about what is to come for the future of Judah. The Lord responds again to Habakkuk’s questions and complaints confirming the judgment to come. The book ends with Habakkuk realizing that God’s ways are so much higher than ours. He trust God and His way, even if he did not understand it. The questions end and the praises beginning.

He went from being anxious and making complaints to being full of confidence in God and making states of faith. He trusted that the Lord would work this all out for their good. He trusted God to help him through the situation and to be his strength. He found peace knowing that God was in control. He determined that no matter what happened no matter how bad it got that he would find is joy in the God of his salvation.


Often times it’s hard for believers to live in peace. Many are so worried about their circumstances or problems that they are consumed with anxiety and fear. Fear has such a serious stronghold on their life that they have to be medicated to treat the anxiety attacks. I know because that used to be me. Although I loved the Lord and I did trusted Him I still gave the spirit of fear my ear. I would listen to all the what if’s that fear would present to me about my circumstances. I allowed the fearful thoughts to drown out the Word of God and steal my peace and joy.

We don’t have to allow our circumstances to overwhelm us. We have to know that our Lord is a Just God who has a plan at all times. The world would say it’s natural to fear. Of course it’s natural, but we forget that we are not just natural human beings any more. We are new creations in Christ Jesus, children of the Most High God, destined to be with Him. We have the Holy Spirit living in us. This is the same Holy Spirit that raised Christ from the dead. We are not supposed to be lead by the natural, the flesh, or the world. We are not to walk by sight. We are to walk by faith. We are to be lead by the Spirit of God. If we want to have the peace of God reigning in our hearts and minds then we have to learn to allow faith and hope in God to become our natural reaction to our circumstances. It’s ok to have questions and concerns but we have to bring them to the Lord and allow Him to speak to our hearts. Then trust Him to bring us through whatever it is that we are facing.

Like Habakkuk we too can live in peace regardless of our circumstances; by trusting God and leaning not on our own understanding of the things that happen in our life, and by knowing that His ways are so much higher than ours and His thoughts higher than our thoughts.

May our Lord help us to live by faith instead of by reason. May our joy and peace be in knowing that our God is faithful and sovereign.

1 comment:

Lisa C. aka Trophy of Grace said...

Awe..thanks Shauna and welcome to Consecrated to Him. I pray that you are encouraged and edified by the postings found here. Thanks for the comment.

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.