Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Soul Surfer- A True Story of Faith

A couple of weeks ago I finished reading the book Soul Surfer, A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board by Bethany Hamilton. I also recently saw the motion picture Soul Surfer based on Bethany’s story. I personally liked the book better because it had more faith-filled and motivating quotes from Bethany. However both were very inspiring.

For those who have not heard the story of Bethany Hamilton, Bethany is a twenty-one year old pro-surfer. But she is no ordinary surfer. You see Bethany is a survivor of a shark attack. When she was thirteen years old she was out surfing with her best friend and a fourteen foot shark attacked her. The attack left Bethany with a severed arm. Bethany did not allow that shark to take away her dream of becoming a professional surfer. Less than a month after getting out of the hospital Bethany was back in the water determined to surf again.

As I read her book I was so moved by her faith and determination. She was only 13 years old and her confidence and hope in God was so strong. Her outlook on what has happened to her causes me to look at my own life and my problems and say to myself, “Lisa, God has a plan and a purpose for allowing all of this, keep trusting Him.”

I want to share some quotes with you from her book and I pray that they inspire, challenge, and encourage your heart.


Page 91: But for me, knowing that God loves me and that He has a plan for my life that no shark can take away is like having solid rock underneath me. Look, lots of bad stuff happens to people. That’s life. And here’s my advice: don’t put all your hope and faith into something that could suddenly and easily disappear. And honestly, that’s almost anything. The only thing that will never go away, that will never fail you, is your faith in God…

Page 92: But most of all, I have a relationship with Christ that keeps me strong and helps me see how good can come out of a bad situation. I think the reason I haven’t gotten all bummed out about losing an arm is due to God. I think that the reason I have been able to tell my story on TV and in magazines is because God wanted other people to know that He is the rock that you can build your life on…

Page 65: I’d like to meet as many as I can and share with them my story, maybe help them work through all the fear and self-doubt. I’ve experienced it all firsthand, and I’m living proof that there’s no such thing as a handicap-it’s only in your head…

Wow! Reading these exerts again sparks faith in my heart! What a blessing and inspiration this young woman has become to so many.

No matter what we will face in this world God is for us. He has a plan to use what the enemy means to destroy us and turn it around for our good and for His glory. God took this terrible tragedy that happened to Bethany and has made her a trophy of hope. She could have given up on her dream, but she chose to fight for her destiny. She allowed herself to be empowered by Christ to do all the things that He put on her heart to do. She is a living testimony of Philippians 4:13. “I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency].” – Amplified Bible

Bethany was able to overcome the attack because she kept her eyes on God. She trusted Him even though she could not understand why this happened to her. She didn’t blame God. She believed in Him. She trusted Him regardless of her circumstances. Let us remember that God is no respecter of persons, if He helped her overcome, He will help us also. All we need to do is keep believing.





No comments:

My God is Faithful!

My God is Faithful!
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.